Welcome to Math in FocusTM: The Singapore Approach, the world-class math curriculum from Singapore adapted for U.S. classrooms based on updated math standards. Math in Focus addresses topics in greater depth at each grade.
This year, your third grader will focus on:
- building problem-solving skills and strategies
- using models to solve real-world problems involving the four operations
- making and interpreting data from bar graphs
- identifying fractions of a set
- finding angles and identifying lines
- understanding area and perimeter of figures
You can help your child build confidence as well as communication skills in mathematics by practicing newly acquired skills at home by taking advantage of opportunities to use math in everyday situations. Allow your child's math class-work or homework to guide you in determining the appropriate level of challenge.
While shopping or at the supermarket, have your child:
- estimate the cost of your groceries
- pay for purchases with real money and estimate the change
On car trips, challenge your child to:
- look out for geometric shapes in road signs, buildings and architecture
At home, inivte your child to:
- help plan a family vacation by looking at prices from the internet or travel brochures
- measure ingredients for a recipe
- conduct a survey and tally the responses
- find angles and lines in things around the house
Contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about the program or your child's progress.