Welcome to Math in FocusTM: The Singapore Approach, the world-class math curriculum from Singapore adapted for U.S. classrooms based on updated math standards.Math in Focus addresses topics in greater depth at each grade.
This year, your fourth grader will focus on:
- building problem-solving skills and strategies
- multiplying and dividing with 1-digit and 2-digit numbers
- using tables, graphs, data and probability
- adding and subtracting with fractions and decimals
- understanding relationships between fractions and decimals
- studying angles, lines segments, area, and perimeter
You can help your child build confidence as well as communication skills in mathematics by practicing newly acquired skills at home by taking advantage of opportunities to use math in everyday situations. Allow your child's math class-work or homework to guide you in determining the appropriate level of challenge.
While reading newspapers and magazines, invite your child to:
- estimate sums and differences
- look for tables and line graphs and interpret them
- keep an eye of for decimal numbers
At home or at the supermarket, challenge your child to:
- identify symmetric shapes and tessellations
- calculate the change he or she will get after buying groceries
- estimate monthly household bills
On car trips, allow your child to:
- read decimal distances on the odometer
- calculate ta fraction of th etotal distarnce traveled between two places
- make associations between turns and right angles
Contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about the program or your child's progress.